Sunday, March 6, 2011

Walking

Had a great weekend - hope you did too.
Saturday I did this practice walk with the pack saddle on. Woman's getting better at putting it on - and I like to keep it from getting too easy by doing lots of stepping sideways back and forth. I still hunch up my hiney when that breechen goes... well... it's just a weird feeling.
Sunday I accompanied Girlchild and Bubba to the arena and met a new horse - the beautiful black thoroughbred Elaina. She instantly became my friend. I told her she could borrow my pack saddle anytime she wanted.
Here's a little video of me - Woman got some new video software. I think she might need to keep practicing, but I'll try not to hurt her feelings.

Bonus question:
What's the title of the song? I think it might be my new theme song....

6 comments:

  1. Just watched your video and noticed a mark on the donkey's neck. Was this a BLM burro? Having 2 bad asses myself I enjoyed seeing your "good girl" and look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen!
    So glad you dropped by -
    Junie is indeed a BLM burro.. she came to my house with a horse I bought. I've since sold the horse but the burro has earned herself a permanent home. I'm new to equines in general, and this long-eared variety in particular, so I'm stumbling through her training. Fortunately - she's patient. We'll keep posting, and I'd love to learn more about your "Bad Asses"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very stylish, Junie! FenBar says, "where are you again? Antarctica?"

    The pack saddle is lovely. I wish I owned one myself.

    Marnie "FarmWife" Jones
    www.BraysofOurLives.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marnie!
    *laughing* That was a NICE day!! A "the weather beckons - let's go for a stroll" type of day!
    Well - July and August here are worth it - hang around... we'll show that pack saddle off in it's REAL natural habitat, if my plans work out. :)
    Speaking of the pack saddle - the nice guy at SoMo Mule (the only link in my "links") was amazingly helpful. I was totally striking out with donkey size gear until I found him.
    Have a great day -

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Christie, For someone new to equines I would say you have accomplished a lot!!! Certainly your Junie is more useful than my two rescue donkeys (not BLM boys). While they are indeed capable of being useful, it is I who have not taken the time to use them for anything other than big 'pets.' Had Junie been broken prior to you getting her or did you buy her from one of auctions and train her yourself? I write a column about 'pets' common in rural communities and the May subject is donkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Karen!
    Juniper came to me as a 5 year old. She'd been adopted as a yearling, but had very minimal handling. Couldn't catch, lead, load etc. Email me and we'll talk more if you like!
    cristyanspach@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete